It’s the season drivers and parents dread: back-to-school season. School buses congest the streets, kids run around haphazardly, and once the snow starts falling in Sedalia, those typical little time-wasting delays become recipes for a disastrous collision.
Don’t worry—Toyota’s got your back. Here’s all you need to know about both the newest Toyota safety features and the safest Toyota models of 2018 and 2019.
Toyota Safety Sense is Standard in Most 2019 Models
Every driver eventually gets into a crash. But crashes today are far less dangerous than they were just 25 years ago when nearly 20 fatalities occurred per 100,000 drivers. In 2018, that rate has virtually been cut in half (12 per 100,000)—and much of that decrease is due to the advanced safety features found in modern vehicles.
Under their Toyota Safety Sense umbrella, Toyota has jumped into the life-saving action by releasing nearly every new 2019 Toyota with the following safety systems:
- Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection – Built-in cameras and sensors track forward movement; should a collision be imminent, the system automatically stops the car, thus reducing the possibility of colliding with another vehicle or jaywalking pedestrian. (Not available on Yaris Liftback and Prius c.)
- Lane Departure Alert with Steering Assist – Your windshield’s integrated mini-camera monitors your position on the road, alerting you when you’ve veered from your lane or across lines.
- Automatic High Beams – As the school season pushes into winter, you may be driving the kids to school before the sun even comes up. Automatic High Beams will toggle between standard low-beam and high-beam lights when other vehicles are detected on the road. Visibility, y’all!
- Dynamic Radar Cruise Control – Stop-and-go traffic is so yesterday thanks to adaptive and dynamic cruise control systems. Maintain a preset speed and distance from vehicles in front of you without the shin splints caused by accelerator-to-brake repetition.
Optional on several new models and trims are the following Toyota safety features:
- Road Sign Assist – New to the Toyota Safety Sense package is Road Sign Assist. Along your route to the school parking lot, this Toyota safety feature detects road signs like speed limits, stop signs, yield markers, and more. They’re then displayed on the instrument panel. (Available on new Corolla.)
- Bicyclist Detection – Paired with the Pre-Collision System is Bicyclist Detection, a feature that senses and warns you of…well, cyclists. If a collision is likely, audio and visual alerts will go off. (Available on new Corolla.)
- Full-Speed Range Dynamic Radar Cruise Control – When driving long distances at highway speeds, Full-Speed Range DRCC works similarly to the standard Dynamic Radar Cruise Control system. (Available on some new Toyota models with automatic transmissions.)
- Lane Tracing Assist – Also new this year is Lane Tracing Assist, a feature that works with the Full-Speed Range Dynamic Radar Cruise Control system to keep the vehicle centered in its lane. It helps reduce eye strain, increase overall convenience, and can even be turned off when needed. (Available on new Corolla.)
- Road Edge Detection – Scans the road for edge-lined grass, soil, curbs, or other boundaries, then initiates gentle steering to correct your Toyota’s trajectory if you begin to stray. (Available on new Corolla.)
5-Star Safety Ratings is Toyota’s Bread ‘n Butter
You and your precious cargo (i.e. your family) deserve the highest degree of safety when on the road. And that safety is inherent in a Toyota, which is proven by over a dozen 2018 and 2019 Toyota models receiving 5-star ratings from the NHTSA. Here’s a list of the NHTSA-approved safe Toyota vehicles you can buy or lease right now at our Sedalia Toyota dealership:
- 2019 Toyota Corolla
- 2019 Toyota Camry/Camry Hybrid
- 2019 Toyota Sienna
- 2019 Toyota Highlander/Highlander Hybrid
- 2019 Toyota Prius
- 2019 Toyota Yaris
- 2018 Toyota C-HR
- 2018 Toyota RAV4
- 2018 Toyota Avalon
Backing up those high safety grades are IIHS Top Safety Pick and Top Safety Pick+ designations for the following new Toyota models:
- Toyota Corolla
- Toyota Prius
- Toyota Prius Prime
- Toyota Camry (TSP+)
- Toyota Avalon (TSP+)
- Toyota RAV4
- Toyota Highlander
Get Ready for School with a New Toyota
Your kids likely have a school-sanctioned list of necessary supplies to purchase, but we’d bet a safe car isn’t on it. As a parent, you should do your due diligence by creating your own checklist for back-to-school season—and add a new Toyota to the top of it.
As your Sedalia Toyota dealer, we’d like to help you cross that item off your list. Visit our dealership at 3110 West Broadway in Sedalia, MO, to test out the safety features in any of our 2018 or 2019 Toyota models. We’d even suggest latching your kid’s booster seat in the back and taking a test drive around town with the whole family. After all, they’re the main reason you’re looking for a safe ride, right?
For more information about Toyota Safety Sense or our Sedalia Toyota specials, contact McCarthy Toyota of Sedalia at 660-826-5400. We’re located near Whiteman AFB and Knob Noster, for your convenience.
Sources & Photos: